The Respect@Work report highlighted the need for sector-targeted, easy-to-use resources that are victim-centred and readily accessible.
The Association of Australian Medical Research Institutes (AAMRI) and the Women in Science Parkville Precinct (WiSPP) launched the Respect in Research Project to develop recommendations to help sector members prevent and respond to sexual harassment.
In 2022, the project consulted extensively with students, employees and leaders from the health and medical research sector as well as experts in gender equity, diversity and inclusion and sexual or gender-based violence.
The soon to be released report identifies sector-specific risk and solutions and contextualises a range of research and resources to support organisations effectively prevent and respond to sexual harassment. Whilst the project was instigated within medical research, the identified key risks and solutions are relevant and transferable to other academic research environments.
In this webinar, WiSPP Program Manager Alice Tinning will share the key themes that emerged from these consultations. These include the importance of:
- addressing sexism and other forms of discrimination
- capturing data to proactively manage risk
- adopting an intersectional approach
- shifting entrenched power dynamics in academia
- taking collective action
After the presentation, AAMRI Executive Director Emma Burrows will facilitate a panel discussion exploring these themes.
Who should attend?
Senior leaders, line managers, HR personnel and EDI professionals who work in health and medical research and academia.
Speakers and panellists
- Alice Tinning – WiSPP Program Manager
- Emma Burrows PhD – Executive Director, AAMRI
- Catherine Elliott– Deputy Director; Director of Research, Telethon Kids
- Louise Johansson – Diversity and Inclusion Manager, WEHI; AAMRI GEDI Working Committee Member
- Kim Kwan – Communications Coordinator, Journal of Neurochemistry; Project Manager, QueersInScience
- Vijaya Joshi – Health Equity Manager, Victorian Comprehensive Cancer Centre Alliance
Tuesday 20 June 2023, 1:00 to 2:15 pm AEST.
Online via Zoom.